Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mac - Week 3: Extra... Extra... read all about it! (aka Think Out Loud #2)

Screenshot of AR Project Website by Kathy Valunas
Tweeking at the end of my Journey...
This week's extra post focuses on my AR project Website. When I started this month's class I thought- eh... piece of cake when it came to completing the parts of my AR Website in preparation for the final month with Dr. Bedard. I had all pages populated with almost everything required and assumed it would just be a matter of cut and paste a few last minute additions. Wrong- I had a number of changes and tweeks to make to my cycle and critical friends pages that I didn't expect. But now that I have completed everything except the final entries for the assessments and data, and the final summary, I realize that these changes made everything flow much better.

Interestingly, as a Web designer, I was always taught and continue to guide my students to design pages that don't go on forever and ever with so much information that it takes forever to reach the bottom of the page. So naturally, I had split up the information related to my critical friends. I got too creative and made a photo album page to introduce this group and then created "about me" pages with their bios and more personal information. Well, needless to say that created too many pages and I had to consolidate all of the details onto one page. I didn't like the idea at first, but could see why it was much easier to just have one page that focused on everything. Actually, now that it is done, I do like the new page much better; it is very organized, has a pleasing and easy to read balance of information, and is simpler for the viewer to "see the whole picture".

Now on to the final leadership project. Still not 100% certain as to what direction to take for sharing my project. But, since it was a project focused on professional development through the use of an online community of educators and students, I will definitely being creating a presentation. After completing some research and looking at other examples from past EMDT students as well as others who have done action research, I will be choosing some type of professional development conference or inservice meetings where I can share the project and data in hopes of helping others who might want to develop a similar project.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your AR web finishing touches experiences. There's always a bit of a balancing act between finding creative design and ease of use. You were thinking of cool ways to present the info and we were thinking that the final committee person is only going to want to click once on the Critical Friends page and have all of the info there without having to click and load more pages. It's more of an art than a science, I believe.

    ReplyDelete