Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mac - Week 3: Comments to Torrey Proctor


Image & manipulation by Kathy Valunas

Using software alternatives for manipulating and editing digital photos can be expensive or impossible unless you find an alternative. Why not try GIMP? That's what one teacher is considering with his digital photography students. Read more...



@Torrey Proctor-

I intend to use the following podcasts to teach a new digital photography class at my high school next year. Here is a website that lists 25 great podcasts for digital photography: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/24-1-photography-podcasts-that-will-inspire-you

Podcast #3: Meet the Gimp: Free Tutorials for the Free Graphics Software Gimp
Podcast #3 was chosen because my schools head IT suggests I use Gimp instead of Adobe Photoshop for editing photos.  If I can’t get Adobe Photoshop for my digital photography students than I’m going to learn the plan b software; Gimp. 

My comments-
Thanks for sharing all of these great resources and podcasts for teaching digital photography. I teach Photoshop and digital publishing and my students are always asking about using GIMP. About 5 years ago, one of my best students used GIMP at home as well as Photoshop at school to complete all of his work. This free software program is the best option for classrooms and students who cannot afford the high price of Photoshop. It works just like the industry standard and the concepts, techniques, and processes are almost identical. I think the best part of using this option is the fact that now students can continue using the same program on their home computers so the learning and creativity never ends. I looked at the podcasts for GIMP and find the information at meetthegimp.org to be be valid and easy to follow. I know once you start using this it won’t matter if you teach face-to-face or online, you and your students will be editing digital photos with ease. Just make sure you get full approval from administration and your IT department to download and use this on your lab computers. This is the one issue that so many teachers face when they find a free software the want to use. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment