Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mac – Week 2: Comments to Ashley on the Art of Possibility


Screen capture of book cover captured by Kathy Valunas
@Ashley May-
Ashley said: There were a few points that stuck out to me that I would like to address.  First, Ben dealt with removing fear as an obstacle.  This was a prevalent theme throughout the first 2 chapters.  I had my “aha” moment when I (once again) realized that I am the biggest opposition to my own success.  It’s my thought patterns about my environment and myself that have to change.  I have to stop limiting myself to the box.  Instead of thinking outside of the box, I have to operate as if the box doesn’t exist!

The second point that I absolutely loved was when Zander said, “When you make a mistake, lift your arms high in the air and say ‘how fascinating.’”  I thought this would be a great exercise for me, personally.  I tend to put an extraordinary amount of pressure on myself to do everything and be everything.  What’s worse is that even though I know I cannot be perfect, I am still somehow disappointed when I am not.  This exercise will be great for me to start to take some of the pressure off of myself, and to allow myself to make mistakes.

My comments to Ashley:
I have to agree Ashley, we are our own worst enemies and critics so it is understandable that so many of us feel the same way. Fear is a huge obstacle every day of our lives but it is how we use that fear to deal with circumstances that makes us stronger. And even though we encounter roadblocks along the way, we just have to keep reminding ourselves that we can do whatever we choose when we allow that inner strength and power to help us break through the barriers. Throughout my life I have experienced many of those “aha” moments and I love to watch my students when they have those same feelings. You can actually visualize that light bulb light up when you know they “got it”. I thought your reflection about the raised arms was great. It not only expresses our enthusiasm and excitement but also is our outward “sign” that we are receiving the power to do all things. We send up praises and at the same time we are energized with more of that passionate fire that gives credibility to what we are asked to do with our lives here on earth. Whether we teach, preach, care for others, or serve as mothers, wives, and friends, we know that we don’t have to shoulder all of the pressures alone. If we aren’t perfect, and most probably will never be until we are called home, we are here to do our best with the talents and abilities we have been blessed with! Thanks for sharing your insights and feelings. It is always wonderful to read what others are feeling because it makes me a better person for having shared with them throughout our journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment